Modern View on the Role of Sex-Specific Levels of High-Sensitive Cardiospecific Troponins T and I in the Diagnosis of Myocardial Infarction

Aleksey Chaulin


It is well known that the molecules of cardiospecific troponins T and I are localized in the troponin-tropomyosin complex of the cytoplasm of cardiac myocytes and, due to the specific localization, these cardiospecific troponins are widely used as diagnostic biomarkers of myocardial infarction. Cardiospecific troponins are released from the cytoplasm of cardiac myocytes as a result of irreversible cell damage (for example, ischemic necrosis of cardiomyocytes in myocardial infarction or apoptosis of cardiac myocytes in cardiomyopathies and heart failure) or reversible damage (for example, intense physical exertion, hypertension, the influence of stress factors, etc.). Current immunochemical methods for determining cardiospecific troponins T and I have extremely high sensitivity to subclinical (minor) damage to myocardial cells and, thanks to modern high-sensitive methods, it is possible to detect damage to cardiac myocytes in the early (subclinical) stages of a number of cardiovascular pathologies, including myocardial infarction. So, recently, leading cardiological communities (the European Society of Cardiology, the American Heart Association, the American College of Cardiology, etc.) have approved algorithms for early diagnosis of myocardial infarction based on the assessment of serum levels of cardiospecific troponins in the first 1 - 3 h after the onset of pain syndrome. An important factor that may affect early diagnostic algorithms of myocardial infarction are sex-specific features of serum levels of cardiospecific troponins T and I. This manuscript presents a modern view on the role of sex-specific serum levels of cardiospecific troponins T and I in the diagnosis of myocardial infarction and the mechanisms of formation of sex-specific serum levels of troponins.

Cardiol Res. 2023;14(1):22-31


Cardiovascular diseases; Myocardial infarction; Cardiospecific troponins; Cardiac myocytes; Troponin T; Troponin I; Sex-specific levels

Full Text: HTML PDF

Browse  Journals  


Journal of Clinical Medicine Research

Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism

Journal of Clinical Gynecology and Obstetrics


World Journal of Oncology

Gastroenterology Research

Journal of Hematology


Journal of Medical Cases

Journal of Current Surgery

Clinical Infection and Immunity


Cardiology Research

World Journal of Nephrology and Urology

Cellular and Molecular Medicine Research


Journal of Neurology Research

International Journal of Clinical Pediatrics



Cardiology Research, bimonthly, ISSN 1923-2829 (print), 1923-2837 (online), published by Elmer Press Inc.                     
The content of this site is intended for health care professionals.

This is an open-access journal distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, which permits unrestricted
non-commercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Creative Commons Attribution license (Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International CC-BY-NC 4.0)

This journal follows the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) recommendations for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals,
the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) guidelines, and the Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publishing.

website:   editorial contact:
Address: 9225 Leslie Street, Suite 201, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4B 3H6, Canada

© Elmer Press Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the published articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the editors and Elmer Press Inc. This website is provided for medical research and informational purposes only and does not constitute any medical advice or professional services. The information provided in this journal should not be used for diagnosis and treatment, those seeking medical advice should always consult with a licensed physician.